30 November 2012

Twins of Evil Tour - Birmingham 29/11/12

First off let me be clear about my metal credentials...or lack of. This is only my third ever gig, and my cinematographers (the wife) second (her first was 'Status Quo) so yeah, we are very much concert virgins.

After surviving the 12,000 strong heaving crowd, getting slowly stoned from their collective drug habits and covered in beer all I need now is for the ringing in my ears to subside to an acceptable level to function in polite society.

I'd read a lot of reviews regarding Marilyn Mansons performances on the tour thus far. Words like 'tired', 'flat' and 'disinterested' occurred with alarming regularity, yet I need not of feared. Whether he raised his game as he was performing in the hometown of Metal, or just felt like the impressive turnout deserved the Manson of old he was back to his menacing best.

While not as pitch perfect as he once was his blood curdling screech and contorted grimaces were back in abundance as he led the throngs through old favourites 'Disposable teens', 'The Love song', and his excellent cover of 'Sweet Dreams'. There was plenty of new material too including my new personal favourite 'No Reflection'. Highlight of the set was probably the snow drenched 'Coma White' (although the snow tasted more than a little funky).

Many of the crowd were saying that he was back to his best and on this showing I have to agree, hell even 'King Kill 33' got an airing. Sat straddling a cyberhellish podium and leering at the crowd, Manson may of lost a little of his shock but he still demands your attention and cavorts it with an untouchable style.

I only recently became a fan of Rob Zombies brand of US rock/metal but I was looking forward to seeing him live.

Although we were further back this time (due to a necessary water break) he did not disappoint.
With an army of cyborg carnival style puppets on stage and even his own personal war machine Rob rattled through his impressive back catalogue with an admittedly broken voice.

He engaged the crowd on several occasions before his 'Dragula' encore and there were solos from Ginger Fish and John 5 too. Which was nice.

The majority of the crowd was really there to see Manson and this showed as Zombie never quite got the crowd as pumped, through no fault of his own. I was disappointed there were no 'Captain Spalding' painted faces anywhere! I shouldn't of bottled it myself, I swear he'd of got me up on stage for being a total Boss!

On this showing Manson edged the show, his set was diverse and he was thoroughly engaging as he pranced and contorted his way through his sixty minute slot.

Note: I tried to add videos but blogger wasn't having any of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment